Sunday, October 11, 2009

Shuckin' Good Gumbo

Gumbo is one of those dishes that will always be a mystery to me. Like so many other regional specialties in this country, gumbo consists of relatively basic ingredients combined with a intricate blend of spices that I won't even attempt to get right. Therefore, I rely solely on the source: true to the game southern bayou chefs. Unfortunately, those are few and far between in Chicago. Sure, I've had gumbo here or there, but it's been nothing memorable. So ignorant was I to the taste of really good gumbo that even when I visited New Orleans it didn't cross my mind to order it at the local restaurants. Oh what I have missed.

Just this weekend Forest Park held its first annual Oysterpalooza, brought to our neck of the woods by The Shuckin Grill (aka The Gem Deli & Market: http://www.gemdelimarket.com/). I was first introduced to the Shuckin Grill at the Near West Oktoberfest, also held in Forest Park. I was skeptical of the restaurant only because it took one of two restaurant spaces in Forest Park that can't decide what it wants to be. And each time the identity changes I lose faith. But at Oktoberfest Shuckin Grill won me over with their freshly shucked raw oysters (seriously there was a guy right there shuckin away) and creative cooked oysters; including blue cheese fried oysters and a delectable oyster gumbo.

But at Oysterpalooza they brought out the big guns with the shrimp gumbo. A perfectly seasoned, exceptionally hearty mix of shrimp, fresh garlic, tomatoes, vegetables, and rue served over...get ready for this...grits! Grits so smooth and buttery that they melted in my mouth. It was one of those times that even if I had never tasted gumbo before I would've known that this was the best gumbo I may ever have. I thank Rick for buying it in the first place because I never would have. I can't wait to go back to Shuckin Grill and get a full serving. I only hope that it wasn't just good batch. As we all know, CONSISTENCY is key in the cooking biz.

No comments:

Post a Comment